VILLAGE-MAP 1945

Schematic village map of Bulkes, corresponding to the state of the village in April 1945 as the last people of Bulkes were deported to Jarek, drawn 2001-2004 after models by Jakob Kendel, house no. 426, Jakob Zeh, house no. 285, and the Bulkes homeland book.




Translation of some terms:
Slaughterhouse = Schlachthaus (Schlagbruck) | Sander's mill = Sanders Mühle | ground hole = Grundloch | clay pit = Lehmgrube | Last Street = Letzte Gasse | Silb. = Silbasch | Main Street = Hauptgasse | Glissa = Glissa | Second Street = Zweite Gasse | First Street = Erste Gasse | Skinners house = Schinderhaus | Hutweide = Community meadow, see picture | ground-hole, see picture | Hanfwasser = hemp water | train station = Bahnstation
Position geographical:
about 28 km nw of Neusatz
45"22' north latitude
19"32' east longitude

Explanation of some terms:

Slaughterhouse
was no longer used since World War I. In the war years before, as Bulkes became the stage and the provision and supply region of the German Serbian army under General Field Marshall Mackensen, a reger? Slaughter business ruled here.

With Neudorf I and Neudorf II
came from the middle of the 19th century the original system pure total concept which was not adequate for village expansion as well.

Die Glissa
is a last little expansion of the northwestern edge of the village in the area where the cemetery lay. The term could be derived from the Latin "glisco" (= take root, grow), which refers to a growing, an enlargement of the village.

Skinner's house
was the "residence" of the Schinder (= obsolete term for Abdecker/animal skinner, also obsolete). He (who in the end was a gypsy with his family) stood in the service of the community and had the task to collect and "dispose of" all disease ridden, or rather, dying animals (pigs with hoof and mouth disease, dogs with rabies).

Hutweide
what the large community meadow between the village and the train station was called. For the cows of the village to graze on all day long from spring until fall. It was "behütet" (protected) (hence Hutweide) by the cow keeper (= cow shepherd) of the community.

Hanfwasser (hemp water)
was the name of a flat pond (next to the hemp factory), in which the harvested green hemp stalks were submerged bundled together in water 50 cm deep for 14 days (weighed down with clay), through which the fibers were loosened from the stalks.



Remarks about the architecture of the village planning:

The village was built from the settlement of 1786 as a strict orderly engineered village from the plans of the Austrian chamber settlement building office under the leadership of the chamber engineer and building director Kiš.
According to his instructions the "operating surveying engineer Denk" laid out 4 parallel streets 25 meters wide and these were connected after every 6 or 7 yards at right angles by cross streets (Quergassen = Kreuzgassen). Each courtyard had a uniform size plot of land of about 23 x 95 meters = 2185 square meters. The square formed to the right and to the left of the large cross street was 190 x 161 meters and those adjoining it were 190 x 138 meters.
In Bulkes 230 homes should actually be built for the 230 colonial families. Until the land conscription of 1828 (= record of the taxpayers / census) but actually only 215 were built. After that the village expansion followed: Neudorf I, Neudorf II, and the Glissa (see above "Explanation of Some Terms").
The middle street (=Hauptgasse (Main Street)) and the middle cross street (= Pappel-Alle (Poplar Avenue)) were about 40 meters wide according to coordinates and council. At the intersection of both of these axles existed the center of the village with the church, the parsonage, the school, and the Herrschafts-Wirtschaft" (= inn for the gentlemen who visited or traveled through the village). On this 40 x 40 meter = 1600 square meter large square the "Kerweih" (=Kirchweih), (church celebration), was held every year on the last October Sunday. In addition the whole square was completely full with some carousels, shooting galleries, and sales booths.
The large models of the geometrical village planning system as it was carried out in Bulkes and the other villages of the Batschka in the 18th century reaches back over almost the same period Baroque city foundations (for example the entire plan for the reconstruction of Mannheim up to 1698) in the Roman and Greek classical style and over the outside in ancient and recent history.
What T. Miller did for Tscherwenka (1785), is also a sense of measure for Bulkes " … is the clearest and most perfect type of tightly formed engineered and chessboard village."
After 1949 in Bulkes the experiment GREEK REPUBLIC/ GRIECHISCHE REPUBLIK in Yugoslavia after 4 years found a violent end with the influx of Serbian inhabitants from the south and southwest provinces of the former Yugoslavia which made the remaining aesthetic homogeneity of the village scene through a haphazard unrestrained farming community with each year more and more unfamiliar until it was made unrecognizable.

Picture of the village center from the time before 1936:

Games and dancing on the central village square in front of the church, in the intersection of the Main Street and the center cross street, with a view to the south in Poplar Avenue.



View from the church tower on the Main Street towards the eastern direction of Peterwatz, left under the parsonage, below the horizon at the edge of the picture over the center up to the right edge shines the hemp water of the pond. (Heinrich Stephan, Translation: Bradley Schwebler)




Die Hauptgasse vom Kirchturm gesehen Richtung Westen nach Silbasch zu. Unten rechts das Schulgebäude mit 2 Lehrerwohnungen (Fam. SPANNAGEL und KENDL), daran anschließend folgen die Häuser der Familien: WOHLHÜTER, Konrad (letzter Richter/Ortsvorsteher in Bulkes); HOFFMANN, Peter; BAUER, Johan ( "BALWEERE" und Betrieb der Milchzentrale der landwirtschaftlichen Genossenschaft); Familie WAGNER und an der Ecke zur nächsten Kreuzgasse: Familie JUNG, Peter.
Am linken Bildrand ist noch ein Teil des Wohnhauses mit Verkaufsraum der Familie GRUBY zu sehen, dann folgen die Häuser der Familien KATERLE, Heinrich (Büro der landwirtschaftlichen Genossenschaft und Kino im Hofgebäude); BINDER Fritz (ausgewandert nach New Jersey USA); BRUNNER Karl (Lehrer) und an der Ecke zur Kreuzgasse: Familie KLEIN, Johann ("Katers").
(Heinrich Stephan)


At the DVHH (Jody) we have a page for Floor plans of "The Typical Donauschwaben Houses"

Next chapter GAESTEBUCH